Woman's National Democratic Club
Contact: [email protected]
1526 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, District of Columbia 20036
From The Right To Vote...The Power To Lead Welcome to the Woman's National Democratic Club, the meeting place for Democrats in the nation's capital. WNDC engages members (women and men) in public affairs and serves as a forum for Democratic leaders. Club membership benefits include outstanding speaker programs with legislators, first ladies, ambassadors, authors, and other public figures - as well the opportunity to study key issues, adva...nce public policy, serve on task forces and network with other Democrats. WNDC's Educational Foundation sponsors selected programs which are open to the public. The Foundation also supports the club's historic preservation, scholarship of women's history, and community outreach with DC public schools. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and located in the heart of DC's Dupont Circle, the club is an ideal setting for private parties, weddings and special events. Its gracious rooms are available for conferences and meetings. Our Washington DC Museum houses a collection of antiques and political memorabilia and is open to the public through scheduled tours and to scholars by appointment. Founded in 1922, the Woman's National Democratic Club (WNDC) was the first meeting place for Democratic women in Washington, DC. When WNDC opened its doors in rented quarters near the White House in 1924, members recruited influential Washingtonians to speak at club luncheons. The twice-weekly events have endured for nine decades and provide a lively forum for discussion with speakers such as Hillary Rodham Clinton, E. L. Doctorow, Madeleine Albright, Jim Lehrer, Vernon Jordan, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Loretta and Linda Sanchez and other prominent national and local figures. The historic clubhouse, located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of nineteenth-century and Beaux Arts mansions, is also a museum with beautifully appointed rooms for meetings, receptions, weddings, and other private events. Designed by Washington architect Harvey Page, and built in 1892-94 for a descendent of the noted Adams family of Massachusetts, the house is a unique transition between Victorian and Arts and Crafts architecture. WNDC bought the former residence in 1927. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. The WNDC Educational Foundation (EF) opens club facilities, programs, and activities to the public. The EF oversees the club's museum collections and archives, sponsors an oral history and publication program and conducts community outreach projects. The foundation maintains an historic preservation fund to help conserve the landmark clubhouse.Activity status unknown.